<< Back | Next >>

 We're getting close to the finish line. It's time for the finish (trim) molding. This includes the baseboard, valence (the stuff under the cabinets) and crown molding.

The baseboard molding isn't very interesting and doesn't lend itself to good photos so I'm leaving it out. The crown molding I'm holding off for now. We just want to get the place cleaned up. There's still 2x4's in the hallway, drywall behind the credenza and plywood propped up against the fireplace. The valence molding is needed to hide the under-cabinet lighting.

Initially I figured that screwing the molding to the frame, from the top down, would be the way to go. I tried a test piece and discovered that batting .333 will get you in the major leagues it won't do for finish carpentry. The cabinet frame is 3/4 inch thick but the molding 3/8ths. One screw came out the back of the molding, one the front and one dead on. Not good.

Babs suggested glue, but I dismissed that idea out of hand. After all what does a woman know about carpentry.

I tossed around a few more ideas and eventually called the great guru of all things construction related: my friend Rick. His suggestion: Titebond II. In other words: glue. Curses, the little woman was right again!

Right Side of Stove

Successful gluing requires clamping or other means of squeezing the two items together. As can be seen, I have no shortage of clamps.

What you see above is the second go-around. The first time I took the clamps and 2x4's off after about 2 hours (the setting time for the glue is 30 minutes). Within seconds there's a loud crack and everything falls to the countertop.

I scrape off the semi-hardened glue and try again, this time leaving it alone for 24 hours.

Left Side of Stove

Left this to set for about 6 hours. Removed the clamps, etc. Same result. Glue people lie! Again, I reset and wait 24 hours. Success.

Over Sink

The run over the sink is the longest and most visible. It was also the last piece so I had some idea what I was doing by this time. I managed to leave everything alone for a full 30 hours. Success again.

For those that care about technical details, I went totally old school and used miter box and saw from Home Depot to make the cuts (45 and 22.5 degrees).